Sunday, October 28, 2012

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

          Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is a children's novel that shows the experiences a family living in Mississippi in 1933.  The young family owns their own land, much to their neighbor's dissatisfaction.  There are no racist subtleties in this book, it is out in the open and up front.  The night riders cruse the dirt roads of Mississippi terrorizing the African American citizens.  Mr. Granger seems to be the instigator and fuel for the racist environment that the community has to deal with.  While the Wallace's seem to be the ignorant red necks that always taking things one step too far.  The terror that the African American people have to live with during this time in United States history is unacceptable.
          How does a child understand the adult content that this book is saturated with?  This book was upsetting to me.  Throughout this book I was in a constant state of fear, worry, and anxiety.  I was nervous and upset as if I was a member of the Logan family.  This book is very well written, it is just too advanced and graphic for a young child.  There are many violent and graphic scenes.  It becomes gruesome toward the end.  I don't believe that this is children's literature.  Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is more suited for middle and high school students.  Everyone should have to read this book at least once in their lives, just not when they are six years old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment